Monday, November 2, 2020
Distillery in New York Files Application to Register MARIJUISKEY as a Trademark for Whiskey. Any Issues?
Tuesday, October 6, 2020
Jordan Belfort, the former stockbroker played by Leonardo DiCaprio in the 2013 Wolf of Wall Street movie, recently filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to register his name, JORDAN BELFORT, as a trademark.
What types of goods and services does the Wolf of Wall Street intend to sell under his name? Apparently a variety, according to the application. The goods and services listed in the application span seven different classes and include the following:
- Cologne and after shave gel (Class 3);
- A variety of clothing, including shirts, hats, shoes, and pajamas (Class 25);
- Gaming machines for gambling and board games (Class 28);
- Beer, sports drinks, energy drinks, and soft drinks (Class 32);
- Wine and spirits (Class 33);
- Ashtrays, e-cigarettes, lighters, tobacco grinders, and tobacco water pipes (Class 34); and
- Entertainment services, namely, personal appearances by a celebrity (Class 41).
Thursday, October 1, 2020
Other Unique Trademark Filings:
Wednesday, July 1, 2020
San Francisco Company Files Application to Register GAS STATIONS IN SPACE as a Trademark for...Space Gas Stations?
- Fuel for satellites, spacecraft, space vehicles, and space stations; propellant for satellites, spacecraft, space vehicles, and space stations (Class 4); and
- Repair, maintenance, and refueling services for satellites, spacecraft, space vehicles, and space stations (Class 37).
Food and Drink Trademark Filings:
Tuesday, June 30, 2020
Tuesday, May 12, 2020
BAUER, but it didn't cover hockey equipment. Instead, it covered the following goods:
- Sanitary masks to protect from infection and prevent infection of others; face shields to protect from infection and prevent infection of others; disposable microorganism barrier gowns (Class 10); and
- Multi-usage face shields; multi-purpose face shields; face masks; goggles (Class 9).
Kudos to Bauer for doing its part.
Monday, May 11, 2020
PwC Files Application to Register AUTOMATIC CONTACT TRACING As a Trademark for Web-Based Software. Any Issues?
On May 6, the global professional services firm filed an application to register AUTOMATIC CONTACT TRACING as a trademark with the USPTO. The application covers the following services in Class 42:
- Providing web-based software application that would assist organizations in making critical workforce strategies through the analysis of data based on employee location and interaction
See any potential issues? Is this mark merely descriptive of the underlying services?
Merely descriptive trademarks immediately describe "an ingredient, quality, characteristic, function, feature, purpose, or use of the specified goods or services." See TMEP 1209.01(b). Merely descriptive trademarks cannot be registered on the Principal Register (which affords all the benefits of a federal trademark registration) without a showing of acquired distinctiveness.
Does AUTOMATIC CONTACT TRACING merely describe the underlying services listed in the application and show in the specimen above? If so, the USPTO will issue a refusal to register this mark. PwC can submit arguments against that refusal, amend the application to the Supplemental Register (assuming the mark is being used as a service mark and actually in use), or choose to abandon the application.
We'll find out what an examining attorney at the USPTO thinks when this application is examined in approximately three months. Stay tuned.
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Sports Trademark Filings:
Friday, March 13, 2020
California Individual Files Applications to Register WE CURED COVID-19 and Two Other COVID-19 Slogans as Trademarks
- Clothing (Class 25);
- Providing information in the field of medicine; promotional services, namely, promoting the charities of others (Class 35); and
- Charitable fundraising (Class 36)
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson Files Trademark Applications for NOT BAD FOR A RUNNING BACK, Two Other Marks
Wednesday, January 1, 2020
- Fox Files Application to Register OK BOOMER as a Trademark for an On-Going Reality Television Competition [11/15/19]
- Alligator Farm in Florida Files Application to Register CHANCE THE SNAPPER as a Trademark for Clothing, Live Performances by an Alligator [ 11/12/19]
- Fans of Tapatio Hot Sauce May Soon Have Tapatio Beer, Potato Chips According to Recent Trademark Applications [12/10/19]